How To Network and Find an ECommerce Community
August 1, 2023
In the dynamic and ever-evolving world of eCommerce, building a strong community of online sellers is vital. Growing your network of fellow entrepreneurs and professionals from related fields is a powerful strategy.
Working as an online seller can be a solitary undertaking, since you’re often working alone. ECommerce businesses tend to be small, frequently consisting of just one or two people. As an eCommerce entrepreneur, you don’t have a big team of coworkers with whom to build connections and share ideas. That’s why taking some time to build a network is important.
Your network can help you discover promising opportunities, come up with new strategies, and establish meaningful connections. And in case you get stuck with an urgent business problem, you can turn to your network for help and guidance.
Read on to learn about the platforms and strategies that can help you grow your network so you can leverage the potential of eCommerce meet-ups and community events.
In this article:
- How to leverage the power of social media to grow your network
- Where to find industry-specific forums where you can actively participate with like-minded online sellers
- Why you need to attend industry-specific conferences and exhibitions
- How to grow your virtual network by attending webinars and podcasts
- How 8fig can help you become part of a thriving community of entrepreneurs
In today’s digital age, social media platforms have proven to be invaluable tools for building vibrant virtual communities centered around common interests. Social media is an easy place to start networking, since you can do it from anywhere.
If you’re looking for relevant eCommerce communities on social media, here are some great options to get started.
- Facebook Groups: These groups regularly host virtual meet-ups and occasionally, physical gatherings, providing ideal platforms to connect with other sellers. There are many Facebook Groups dedicated to eCommerce and online selling, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find one that suits you and your business.
- LinkedIn: LinkedIn’s advanced search feature allows you to locate industry professionals and groups that align with your eCommerce interests. Regularly attending events or webinars hosted by these groups can expand your knowledge and connections. Plus, since LinkedIn is focused on business and employment, it’s the perfect place to share information, tips, and ideas with other online sellers.
- Twitter: By following eCommerce influencers and monitoring trending industry hashtags on Twitter, you can stay up-to-date with the latest developments in the field. Additionally, Twitter chats offer a lively platform for exchanging ideas, networking and learning.
- Reddit: Various eCommerce-related subreddits act as virtual meet-up spots, where you can engage in discussions and network with like-minded individuals. Some of these subreddits even announce offline events and meet-ups, making them an invaluable resource for any eCommerce entrepreneur.
Internet forums are sites where people can have discussions online. You can ask and answer questions, talk about topics of interest, share your own stories, and more. It’s a great way to build a community and find other like-minded individuals to grow your network.
ECommerce forums offer a space for industry-focused discussions, knowledge sharing, and some even organize meet-ups. Here are a couple of
- Top Dog: This is a community for Amazon sellers where you can find support, advice, and information to help you reach your business goals.
- Workspace6: A community just for 7, 8, and 9-figure eCommerce business owners, Workspace6 gives you the opportunity to network with hundreds of successful eCommerce sellers.
- ECommerceFuel: This forum, catering specifically to 6 and 7-figure eCommerce entrepreneurs, is a rich source of high-level discussions and insights.
- Shopify community: It’s an expansive hub where Shopify store owners and enthusiasts gather to exchange ideas, updates, and experiences.
- Digital Point: One of the biggest eCommerce forums on the internet, Digital Point is free to use and offers a wide range of discussion topics. Users ask questions, offer advice, and help each other figure out how to increase sales and grow their businesses.
- Million Dollar Sellers: An active community of Amazon and DTC sellers who make at least $1 million in annual sales, Million Dollar Sellers gives successful sellers a place to help each other out and leverage the group’s collective knowledge to grow bigger, faster.
By actively participating in these forums, you can gather valuable information from a community of online sellers. In addition, internet forums may open doors to potential physical meet-ups, partnerships, and collaborative projects.
In the fast-paced world of eCommerce, there’s always something new to learn. One of the best places to stay updated is at professional conferences and exhibitions.
ECommerce conferences, events, and exhibitions happen frequently and can be found all over the world. There are some larger annual conferences such as NRF: Retail’s Big Show in New York City, Prosper Show for Amazon sellers, The White Label Expo, Amazon Accelerate, and many more. Black in eCom is another great conference that brings together Black entrepreneurs. You can find more events by searching for them online, or look for local eCommerce conferences in your area.
These events focus on eCommerce, online retail, and digital marketing, offering a wealth of knowledge about the latest trends, innovative strategies, and cutting-edge technologies. You can learn more about the industry from eCommerce experts, get advice and tips from successful sellers, and discuss business with other entrepreneurs.
But these events offer more than just a learning opportunity. They often host networking sessions, where you can meet and connect with other professionals in the field.
These connections could be fellow online sellers, industry thought leaders, or service providers offering tools that could help enhance your eCommerce operations.
Engaging in these networking sessions allows you to tap into a wide array of perspectives. You can learn from the experiences of others, gain insights into different business models, and even explore collaboration opportunities.
As you’ve seen with social media and online forums, our increasingly digital world provides online sellers with a number of virtual networking events and learning opportunities. ECommerce specific podcasts and webinars have emerged as powerful channels for networking.
These digital avenues offer several advantages. For one, you can access them from anywhere, making it easy to fit into your busy schedule. They also provide both information and an opportunity to connect with industry leaders and experts, who often share their knowledge and insights.
You can simply listen to the content, ask questions, share your thoughts, or engage in discussions with the experts and fellow listeners. This active engagement can lead to establishing meaningful connections within the industry.
Regular participation in these digital platforms can also lead to invitations to exclusive eCommerce events. And even if you don’t receive an invitation, you’re likely to hear updates about upcoming events, ensuring you never miss out on networking opportunities. So start exploring eCommerce podcasts and webinars, and begin building your network right from your living room.
At 8fig, we underscore the importance of nurturing a strong network within the eCommerce industry. Alongside providing funding to help you scale your eCommerce business, we foster a thriving community of high-growth entrepreneurs who share valuable insights, strategies, and success stories. Our sellers connect with us, with industry leaders, and with each other through social media, webinars, and even at in-person meet-ups and events.
Our clients, though varied in their backgrounds, share a unified ambition for massive growth. Leveraging our support, they’ve achieved astounding success, enjoying fast and sustainable revenue growth.
As you explore eCommerce meet-ups and community events, remember that 8fig stands ready to equip you with the tools, resources, and financing to propel your eCommerce business. If you own an online store that has been in business for at least a year, generates $100,000 or more in annual revenue, and brings in at least $8,000 in monthly sales, you likely qualify for an 8fig Growth Plan.
Apply for funding today to join other eCom sellers like you who are scaling to 8-figures.
The 8fig Team is an experienced group of eCommerce writers and experts committed to helping online sellers grow their businesses through informative content and guides. Whether you're looking to increase sales or build your brand, we have the knowledge and expertise to help you succeed.